Saturday, November 12, 2011

Why an ultra?

A question that I can imagine coming up is "why an ultra?" Why not a 5k or half marathon, or, heck!, why not a marathon?! For me, the rationale was two fold. First, I have an extreme personality and tend to opt for the most drastic of two options (at least in cases like this). Second, I wanted to choose a physical goal that seemed totally impossible to me. I wanted to pick a goal that my friends would think I was totally insane and delusional for thinking I could do such a thing. That way, when I complete it, I will feel all the more satisfied that I did what (for me) seemed completely impossible. A marathon? I've never run one but I'm confident that, given enough determination, I could do that. But 50k? 50 miles? 100 miles? Now those are distances that stretch the imagination.

This is the same reason I decided to set my sights on a 100 miler, not a 50k or 50M. I'll run both of those distances on my way to the 100 miler but one hundred miles? Now that is a challenge.

See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment